The Underwriter shall perform financial analysis and risk assessment on Commercial & Industrial and Commercial Real Estate transactions. This independent analysis function is designed to provide an in-depth evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses in commercial loan requests that will assist management in determining if the overall risk in a credit request is acceptable to the Bank. In addition, this position may be asked to apply their financial analysis skills to assist other areas of credit risk management.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prepare timely, high quality credit analysis and recommendations that accurately describe the transaction along with risk and mitigating factors associated with the loan request.
- For real estate transactions, in-depth understanding of property operating statements, leases, rent rolls, real estate schedules and the ability to perform detailed cash flow analysis using CRE templates. Ability to perform stress testing scenarios on construction projects and stabilized income producing real estate properties.
- Prepare detailed analysis of historical property operations to make informed decisions about future performance.
- For C&I transactions, ability to understand cash flow cycles, conduct sensitivity analysis, evaluate Borrower’s cash flow and its ability to provide adequate debt coverage for the proposed transactions as well as determine cushions of protections.
- Utilize financial spreading software as well as other financial analysis tools to evaluate borrower’s cash flow and determine adequacy of the borrower’s primary and secondary repayment sources.
- Research and investigate applicable market data using industry related tools such as Co Star and Vertical IQ.
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting all levels of financial statement quality.
- Ability to analyze complex personal financial statements and personal tax returns of sponsors/guarantors as well as contingent debt.
- Assign risk rating based on risk rating metrics and Bank loan policy.
- Monitor and measure financial covenants as well as Borrower operating performance.
- Assist loan officers with preparation of loan presentations for Executive and Board Loan Committees.
- Perform routine annual reviews of relationships within assigned portfolio.
- Attend client meetings, as appropriate, to support underwriting request.
- Complies with all policies and procedures as applied to the Bank’s BSA/AML policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High level of commercial loan underwriting expertise.
- Extensive knowledge of spreading and analyzing financial statements
- Knowledge of Northern Virginian and Washington MSA.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet designated deadlines.
- Full understanding of loan documentation and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently while meeting processing standards for quality and quantity.
- Experience with Financial Spreading software (Baker Hill preferred).
- Experienced with industry related tools (Vertical IQ & Co-Star preferred).
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Office environment with job duties conducted via telephone, face to face meetings, and on the computer.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred Finance, Accounting, or equivalent industry experience).
- Formal Credit training or equivalent industry experience preferred.
- Minimum 1 – 7 years of experience in commercial underwriting/analysis role preferred.
Go to all jobs